Sunday 6 March 2016

Weekend at the Orphanage Part 2

Here's part 2, this week's been a bit hectic so now's the first time I've been able to update you, sorry!! 



When Melane arrived we set up the hall to be a little clothes shop as Melane had had a container come over with donations from people in Denmark. We had a boys and a girls side with clothes for all ages and we laid them out all over the benches and then had  number system like in banks and shoe shops  so that it was fair and all the children got at least one piece of clothing with the boys getting two and the girls getting either another piece of clothing or some jewellery or hair accessory. 





We stayed and had our dinner there of rice and sauce and then waved goodbye to the children for another night and headed back for a bonfire and marshmallows and we had a chat about our favourite bits of the day and our lowlights and then had a time of prayer as well. It really made me reflect on the day and what I’d experienced. Exhausted from the day’s activities we all headed to bed and went straight to sleep. I must say the room was still creepy even after having slept there a night already now. 

Our final morning at the Orphanage had us up even earlier than yesterday and we packed everything up and trundled back to the family dorms for breakfast and to put everything in the car ready to set off once we had finished the baptisms.  Like every other Sunday we had a little church service and Melane talked some more about baptisms and we had some worship led by Malcolm which got all the children energised and ready for the day. Then when we set off singing to the river for the children to be baptised in the river. Lucy and Albert had chosen to have a water baptism which made this a very special occasion for the Pearse family. 

It was really lovely watching the kids as Anold, one of the workers at the orphanage, and Melane got in the river and took a child at a time to baptise them. Emily also told the story of Jesus’ baptism and the thing that always stands out for me in that passage is when it says "At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, " This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased." As well as standing out as a momentous moment in Jesus' life, it also reminds me of my RS lessons and how we'd chuckle over how it was worded and God being well pleased with Jesus. 

Once all the children had been baptised that chose to have it we made our way back to the orphanage, singing as we went on our way. We were supposed to then stay for lunch before going home but as we arrived back they were only just putting the nshima on so we had to leave before having lunch. We said our goodbyes and had to drag Albert away as they had set up a makeshift ramp and they were all flipping and cartwheeling off of it. Some of the younger ones even tried to teach me how to cartwheel but sadly I am still lacking such talents. 




So after a packed weekend of activities and emotions we headed home with a quick pit stop at Nandos for our lunch (I know, there’s a nandos here!) 

It was an amazing experience and one I wouldn't have turned down but it was definitely hard hitting and I struggled at some parts not to get too emotional which I'm sure a lot of you know happens a lot. But overall it was a great weekend and I was very grateful to Melane and Andreas for inviting us and for Emily and Malcolm for taking me with them. 

xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment