Friday 11 March 2016

We stayed at Bushcamp!!

Week 7 started with Emily, Chontay and I heading into Janna to do some filming for Beyond Ourselves. We had to walk up to each teacher in their class and have them introduce themselves. The ladies at Janna school do make me laugh because they would have all rather had it done another day because they weren’t “looking their best” but we powered through regardless. We managed to get most of them first time although some of the teachers did babble a bit so they may have to be done again or edited somehow, although seeing as I’m the one who’s supposed to be editing them that could go horrendously! Although I did get this great picture of some of the kids at Janna, which makes me chuckle as it's their varying reactions to "smile!"




Tuesday wasn’t a great day for me as I really didn’t feel well, with a massive headache and a spinning head which was not fun. I went to Janna but it didn’t feel great to be going and I probably should have stayed home to rest. However we did get some more filming done that we’d missed the day before so now we have a full staff collection to merge together and try and make sense of! We then went to the market and all three of us bought some chitengi to get made into something. The tailor was our final stop, and I decided to have some loose, harem style trousers made up with my material and then there should be some left over to get something else should I want it made up. I ended up dosing for the rest of the day once I got home but I just wasn't feeling my best. 

Wednesday started off as an exciting day as we were headed to Bushcamp to stay for two nights. I thought I was excited but that was nothing to Jacob's excitement to go with Albert and Lucy and see some animals. Sadly, about half an hour into our journey Ben was sick twice and so Melissa made the executive decision to head back home. Naomi was still there and so she could help clean everything up as both the car seats needed to have their covers cleaned and it meant we could air out the car. So after clearing Ben up, and making sure he had a blanket on his lap in case we had another incident, we made our way back home, much to Jacob's dismay. 

However, with a new lease of life, the next morning we set of for Bushcamp take two, now with Dan as well as he'd spent the last two days in Lusaka. We made it with no incidents and got to our chalets without getting too lost. After a breakfast fit for a king, we drove to the dam nearby, taking a slightly long winded route to get there, and had a swim. I even got in the water this time, even if it did take me a while!! 








After our swim we did a game drive round the camp and we saw lots of different types of antelope like impala and water buck. But the best thing we saw has to be the 2 giraffe who just walked straight across our path right after Melissa had prayed that we see one due to her never having seen one here. It was a very exciting moment and they are such magnificent animals. 







They are possibly the most posey animals I've ever seen!



We spent the rest of our afternoon sat around the camp site and as it started to get darker the guys who work there made us a bonfire. The sunset was pretty spectacular this evening and we sat waiting for dinner with the sky constantly changing colour. 







 We ended the evening with a night drive. The kids all piled on the top of the Kohn's car and we went a little way down the game drive. Sadly we didn't see anything other than an owl but it was pretty fun and at one point Malcolm was hanging out of the door (it's a slidy door!) as we drove along. Just as we got back to camp a wild Dan galloped across the road, making us all laugh.



The next morning we had a quick breakfast and then packed up and headed off on our final game drive which took us back to the main site of Nsobe. Jacob and i stayed on with the Pearse's and we went to the snake hut and got to hold a giant snake! I can't say it's my favourite feeling in the world, especially when the snake starts to wrap itself around you but I did it so I was quite proud.




Sadly, after that excitement we had to make our way home as I had my ballet class at 3:45 and we made it by the skin of our teeth! 

Saturday was a very exciting day for me as I finally got the chance to do the scavenger hunt that I was supposed to do at the beginning of my trip. Malcolm dropped Chontay and I off in the middle of Ndola where we started our quest with our first mission; print off a picture for team BOZ. We ended up going to the same place I had had some passport pictures done for my visa and when I walked in the guy behind the counter recognised me and told me off for not taking him to UK yet like I said I would! That was the start of our manic trip all around the town of Ndola where we pretty much stood out like a sore thumb and got a LOT of attention. It's still really weird walking down a street and being called musungo (white person/foreigner) although I must say the weirdest is definitely being called Mama or Baby. Don't think I'd ever get used to that one if I lived here full time. It was a successful mission and we got everything on the list in record time apparently :D Just as we were making our way back to the mall to be met by Emily and the kids, the heavens opened so we made a run for it and got very muddy in the process. But we made it and in celebration we had an ice cream at Gigibonta. 




Think that's it for this one as it's a mammoth one but I hope that the picture break made it easier to read! I can't believe as I write this I have less than a month left in Zambia before heading down to Cape Town. It really has flown by and I'm so torn about wanting to stay longer and really wanting to go home and see everyone again. But for now I'm just enjoying the time I've got left. 

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment