Monday 22 February 2016

It's been an interesting week


So I started this week as usual in Janna with Jan on Monday and I got to spend time with my Grade 7's as I have been doing. This time seemed like I was fighting a losing battle with trying to get across how to figure out dividing fractions. In the end I'm not sure if I helped much at all but I did try. I've also been taught a lot of bemba recently but as it's the kids trying to teach me I'm struggling to remember it all as it's just been shouted at me at once!

For lunch Jan very kindly took me to the Mint Cafe where I had the biggest lemonade I think I've ever seen. It was also like a slush puppy which was rather strange to try and drink, I felt like I needed a spoon! It was bigger than my head!



I spent the evening with the Pearse's for dinner which was lovely and then once Lucy and Albert were in bed Emily and Malcolm introduced me to Duck Dynasty, a programme about an American family who are the creators of duck calls who made millions and now have more money than sense. It really was hilarious watching the programme and some parts we had to rewind bits because we missed them due to laughing at it so hard. 


On Tuesday Shane and I did some more Bemba stories and got through some other bemba translations that Dan needed done. After we did that Shane and I started to prepare dinner, which in my mind we started ridiculously early at about 3. I was the carrot peeler and onion chopper and I've got to say I think onion chopping is possibly one of the worst things about cooking. But eventually it was all cooked and we had a very nice chicken and rice with a tomatoey sauce although I must say we've still not figured out portions for things like rice and pastas! That night I babysat for the Stonier's and got to watch Bend it like Beckham, which I'd forgotten is such a good film. 


On Wednesday I headed into Kitwe with Emily after a hectic morning of photocopying and printing disasters. We went to both Kawama and Greater Joy for Emily to do her training with the teachers on differentiation and it was lovely to see the teachers so engaged at Kawama. Greater Joy wasn't quite so enthusiastic but we think that that is to do with it being held at the end of the day and they were all tired. We left with plenty of time as we both had plans for the evening, Emily had people coming round and I was cooking bolognese. So with that in mind we were cruising along home when all of a sudden I felt my life flash before my eyes (ok maybe not quite but almost) as the front left tyre, the one right under me as the passenger, decided at that very moment to shred itself to pieces and sent us off course towards the side of the road. Luckily the road was clear and Emily managed to control the car enough to get us safely off the road and to a stop without me fearing for my life. We got out to see the tyre looking like this 




After waiting for a while on the side of the road being honked at and rained on, Jason finally arrived to help us out, after we'd given him the wrong directions of where abouts we were and put the spare tyre on for us as there was nothing in the car in case this happened. It made us very grateful to live on a mechanics site and be friends with the owner of said mechanics site. So by the time we'd got that sorted I didn't end up being able to make my "amazing" bolognese but I did cook the pasta for us which I managed to get roughly the right amount for everyone! I took that as my mini success of the week. 


On Thursday Chontay arrived from the UK. She's a friend of Emily's and is staying for about 2 weeks. We had a big team meal for her that evening and it's really nice to have another person my age be around. 


I'll do a separate post about this weekend as it was quite a different way to spend a weekend but it was a good one. 

Hopefully I'll also be able to catch myself up soon as well otherwise I'll start forgetting what happened!

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment